Monday, October 20, 2014

AN WHILE WE'RE AT IT-- SHAMAN KING!!!


While lamenting the
soon to be
passing of
Naruto,
I glimpsed you a bit of this old thing:


When I first started reading 
Shonen Jump
I would tear out
pages
poses
and 
backgrounds
that
inspired me.


The manga I
most often 
ripped from was

by
Hiroyuki Takei


It's the story of 
Yoh Asakura,
a young, laid back spirit medium who 
finds himself thrust into a worldwide battle to become the
Shaman King.

I love
Takei-san's
broad posing:


His draftsmanship:

 

His characters
and the way he dresses them:


And his insane 
splash panels:


I wish I had his 
caffeinated blend of technical skill
and cartooniness.
It's a refreshing change 
from most manga:



























Looking through these,
I don't think I've captured
even half of what I love about
Shaman King.
I stopped ripping the magazine up 
once I really got into it.

And now,
while researching this post I found that 
there's a short series
called
Shaman King: Flowers
that came out a couple years ago.

I think I need to check that out!





No comments: