Thursday, May 30, 2013

A DC COMICS GUIDE WITH STYLE


I gots a lotsa books:


Not like
gots books:


But I got books.

Like these:

WAIT, 
WHAT'S THAT UP TOP?

Oh, that?

That's
THIS:


The 1982 DC Comics
Style Guide.

I found it in a used-book store
in White Plains
many moons ago.

For ten bucks!

I KNOW, RIGHT?!?

RIGHT?!


For those not familiar,
a style-guide
is given to licensees
to set a standard for how characters are to be drawn.
A licensee can either use
the artwork right out of the book
to put on t-shirts, keychains, mugs, etc,
or use them as model sheets for their 
own artists to create new art.
(although that artwork has to be approved
by the company creating the style guide)

The artwork in
this guide was created by
the mighty
who knows a thing or 
two hundred thousand
about drawing comic books.

UPDATE
there's a comment below claiming
that Mr. Perez only did the Teen Titans section 
and the rest was drawn by




Being from the early eighties,
it's a bit dated:



Here's an example of Lois nowadays:


 I know, right?

Anyway,
the binder is filled with
really fun 
and
cheesy
stuff:












 Such an awesome score.

But to be completely honest...
I've always been a
Marvel
guy.


6 comments:

Mariana =] said...

Awesome old artworks *-*
Although I still prefer the modern ones (most of them, at least)
and I am, in fact, a DC girl :P

Bouncer15111 said...

I have four issues of the Adventure Time comic book signed by the illustrators.

J.J. Sedelmaier said...

Youz gots books AND class !!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

George Perez only did the Teen Titans section. The rest of the art is by the amazing Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, the comic book artist's artist. The guide may be cheesy, but the body language and the dynamicism of the characters is one I wish the modern guys would absorb a great deal more.

mr. warburton said...

Anonymous-- that's great to know! thanks for clarifying!

MackDK said...

More Pictures, Please!!!!